classic Green Tea Shot, a sweet and sour Jameson cocktail that takes on the color of green tea
The classic Green Tea Shot (also known as a “Jameson Green Tea”) is a popular whiskey-based cocktail with peach schnapps. Pretentious mixologists might scoff at the combination of ingredients (and the name) but it’s actually an excellent balance of sweet and sour that can be especially refreshing in the summertime. The name comes from its green hue, not its ingredients. So if you’re expecting an alcoholic drink with green tea in it, you might be surprised to hear there is no green tea in a Green Tea Shot.
Green Tea Shot Ingredients
GREEN TEA SHOT RECIPE
- 1/2 ounce Irish Whiskey, such as Jameson (15 ml)
- 1/2 ounce Peach Schnapps (15 ml)
- 1/2 ounce Sour Mix (15 ml)
- Splash of Sprite or other lemon-lime soda
- 2 – 4 ice cubes
How To Make A Green Tea Shot Recipe Method
- Combine the whiskey, peach schnapps, and sour mix in a cocktail shaker with a couple of ice cubes.
- Shake for about 10 seconds to combine all of the ingredients.
- Pour your shot glasses 3/4 full with the green tea shot mixture, using the bar strainer to keep the ice from falling in.
- Top off each shot with the lemon-lime soda.
- Enjoy your green tea shot shortly after it’s prepared.
What’s In A Green Tea Shot?
So if the Green Tea Shot contains no green tea, what’s in it? It only contains a few ingredients:
- Jameson Whiskey
- Peach Schnapps
- Sour Mix
- Lemon-Lime Soda
The Green Tea Shot was invented by the Jameson whiskey company, so to stay true to its origins, stick with Jameson. But also feel free to substitute in your favorite Japanese, Irish, or American whiskey. You want to finish your shots with a splash of lemon-lime soda to dilute some of the intensity, add a bit of sweetness, and introduce some carbonation for a rounder and more balanced drink. And though it’s called a Green Tea “Shot,” don’t feel like you have to down it all in one go. Most prefer to drink it in 4-5 sips.
All around, the Green Tea Shot is a fun and super easy-to-make drink and you should definitely give it a shot!